We are beyond excited to present the one and only Jay Johnson and Friends.
With a career that has spanned five decades Jay Johnson has written, produced and performed in almost every medium of entertainment. He is considered to be one of the top practitioners in the art of ventriloquism. Jay won the American Theater Wing – Tony Award® for “Jay Johnson: The Two and Only” a solo show he wrote, and performed. Jay is the only ventriloquist to ever accomplish this feat.
It’s a question Jay Johnson hears often, at airports, in restaurants or just walking down the street. It’s an obvious question to the millions of people who know Jay from television. In the four years Jay played the schizophrenic role of “Chuck and Bob” on the classic television comedy SOAP, Jay was seen without Bob no more than 2 minutes. After 30 years of performing and perfecting his talents Jay Johnson has truly become a one man duet.
It’s a great compliment to Jay Johnson’s artistic ability as one of the world’s greatest ventriloquists, to have people ask about his wooden partners. But if you think he’s just the straight man to a very funny stage act you’re not even half right. Jay Johnson is like a 3-D poster. The longer you look and the harder you stare the more you see. There is much more to his talents than superficially perceived. The question then is not “Where’s Bob?” but “Who’s Jay?”
Jay started performing at 11 years old when he discovered his natural ability to make a cousin’s doll come to life and began a career using his imagination. His acute dyslexia disappeared in this world of imagery where he was able to find his self esteem and compete. In high school he produced and starred in his own local television show sponsored by a car dealership. This led to summers performing in theme park shows at Six Flags over Texas, Six Flags over Georgia and Astroworld. The summer Jay graduated from high school he logged 918 performances at the Crystal Pistol theater at Six Flags over Georgia. (That’s 10 shows daily for thirteen weeks) About the experience Jay says, “After a summer like that you’re either burned out or fired up… fortunately I got fired up. “
In the mid 70’s Jay moved to Los Angeles to pursue his ideas for television. To date he has done over thirty national commercials, hosted three comedy specials, produced and performed in two network television specials, two HBO specials, hundreds of guest appearances on variety shows and starred in four television series (“Soap” was in production for 4 years and still runs in syndication all over the world).
However, nothing he has done on television can compare to the thrill of seeing Jay perform live as thousands of comedy club audiences will tell you. His particular talents are best suited for live and spontaneous interchanges. His quick wit and unbelievable technique are pure magic when witnessed first hand. The list of entertainers Jay has shared the stage with in Las Vegas, Atlantic City, Tahoe and in theater venues around the United States and other countries reads like a who’s who of entertainment.
Jay’s one man show “Jay Johnson: The Two and only” opened on Broadway to rave reviews and won him the American Theatre Wing TONY Award for “Best Special Theatrical Event” for 2007. The show won the Los Angeles Ovation Award for “best Solo show” in 2006. There is more information on the Broadway show at www.thetwoandonly.com.
In addition to being a ventriloquist Jay is also a writer, comic, cartoonist, poet and puppeteer. To him these talents are fingers of the same hand, tools to communicate his unique individuality. And his inimitable array of abilities allow others access to this abstract world of creativity. In every step of the creative process Jay’s involvement makes the way clearer. Jay Johnson is a window allowing others to see their own imagination through his.
Jay’s strength is the way he understands how reverie and creativity apply to the world of business. With a college degree in Marketing, Jay understands all aspects of business and business theater. Whether he is part of a business session or the entertainment at an evening function; he always knows his audience. He has an uncanny way of relating to them. As one audience member put it, “Jay seemed to know exactly what our company was going through and had some very funny and appropriate comments.”
“My job,” Jay states, “is tour guide for a journey into the imagination. After the tour is over maybe a few will return on their own.” Where’s Bob? Don’t ask. Let Jay take you there. You won’t forget the trip.
Comedy Club Policies:
- Doors open approximately 30 minutes prior to showtime. Seating is first come, first served basis unless VIP or Front Row tickets.
- VIP Front Row and VIP Rows 2-3 tickets must be claimed by showtime otherwise seats will be given away.
- Please had ID ready to show when claiming tickets.
- Prepaid tickets may check in directly at the entrance to the club. Please have copy of receipt or screenshot on your phone.
- We offer full bar service with waitstaff and there is no 'drink minimum' however, outside food or drink is not permitted.
- There is free validated self-parking. Just ask the box office for a validation sticker.
- To insure the enjoyed of others, no photography, video/audio recording allowed. There is absolutely NO heckling! Disruptive behavior, texting, FaceTiming and phone calls are not allowed during the show at anytime. Violators will be asked to leave and no refunds will be given.
- Although we don't judge, there is no smoking or vaping of any kind allowed in the showroom.
- Acts subject to change without notice.
- There are NO post show refunds.
Health & Safety Protocols:
- We encourage paperless tickets by pre-purchasing prior to showtime through our website
- Delirious has reduced the capacity of each show by 50% to allow for safe social distancing inside the showroom
- All high touch surfaces including (but not limited to) tables, chairs, menus, door knobs, faucets, bathrooms and more have been sanitized and will continue to be disinfected after every show
- We require all our patrons to wear a mask when they are not actively eating or drinking. If you don’t have a mask, one will be provided to you upon entering
- All staff members will wear masks
- All staff and customers will have their temperature checked upon entering the club with a contactless thermometer. Anyone with a temp higher than 100 degrees will not be allowed inside
- Customers will be asked to keep a minimum of 6' between groups while waiting in line as well as during the performance.
- There is no 'open seating' and all customers will be seated by a host. Seating arraignments are in tables of 2 but can accommodate up to a maximum of to 6 providing they are from the same household. We will do our best to seat groups larger than that next to or near one another however, the 6' rule between parties/tables will remain in place.
- Customers are NOT allowed to move tables and/or rearrange seating as this is in conjunction with the state's safety protocols and violators will be asked to leave and no refunds given.
- There are specifically marked Entrance and Exits areas and customers will be advised by our host when entering the club
- Staff members who have been sick, may have been exposed to positive COVID-19 individuals, or who are not feeling well may not come to work
- Hand sanitizer stations are located throughout the hotel, at entrances and at the front desk
- All beverages are served on disposable service ware
We are abiding by and in constant contact with all health advisories given by local authorities to provide a safe and healthy venue so our customers can relax while enjoying great live stand-up comedy. Due to the constantly changing mandates, these may be changed, altered or updated without prior notification...
Thank you in advance and we look forward to hearing you laugh..
We encourage you to come early and grab dinner at The Freedom Beat Cafe or Triple George Grill. After the show, grab a beverage and a late night snack and listen to live music with our BOGO drink offer at The Freedom Beat. Just show your ticket receipt to your server and get a Buy One Get One Free" beverage of equal or lesser value. (Valid only on the day/evening prior to or after the show)